The LH Torana, announced in March 1974, was Holden's first all Australian medium car. Earlier Toranas
had varied from pure Vauxhall to Australian variations on the English chassis. However, the new LH
Torana series was almost a HQ built on a smaller scale.
With all mechanical and body parts Australian designed and built (except the Opel sourced 1900 four
cylinder engine), this series was the first Holden to be offered with four, six or eight cylinder
engines. It was also one of the few cars in the world so built. The MGB, Mustang, 1970's Capri and,
later, the Australian V-series Commodore and Chevrolet Camaro were among the others.
The LH was designed as a replacement of the long wheel base six cylinder LC and LJ series and the
six cylinder version accounted for the bulk of the sales. The new car capitalized on the previous
series' strong points such as good power to weight ratio, good handling, solid build and reliability.
The new, contemporary body gave more interior room than the previous Toranas and also had many
improvements in body serviceability with bigger, stronger bumpers and bolt on front sheet metal
(previous models had front guards and aprons welded on).
The model lineup consisted of a four door sedan in three trim levels. The entry car was the Torana S,
next came the Torana SL and then the Torana SL/R. The S and SL were available with four, six or eight
cylinder engines (up to 4.2 litre) while the SL/R came with the 3300 six as standard equipment and
both V8s optional. A wagon version of the LH reached the prototype stage, however it did not make it
to the production line.
When the SL/R was optioned with the 5.0 litre V8, it was badged the SL/R 5000 and was identified by
large front and rear air dams (spoilers) and SL/R 5000 decals on the front guards and on the rear
spoiler (note: no wheel arch flares, alloy or sports wheels). This car, in pre production form, was
known as the GTR XU-2. (The XU-2 tag was not used for the stillborn LJ V8, as is commonly thought).
For touring car racing, and Bathurst in particular, Holden released the Torana SL/R 5000 L34 option
package in mid 1974. If you thought the normal SL/R 5000 was a quick car, the L34 was something else
again! Externally, it could be identified by bolt on wheel arch flares and bigger 14 x 6 steel rally
wheels, but the real news was under the bonnet. The motor was based on the standard 5.0 litre (308)
block, with stronger rods and pistons, heads with modified ports and bigger valves, roller rockers,
two piece tubular exhaust headers, modified inlet manifold and twin coil / twin point ignition.
It ran a high pressure fuel pump with the standard Rochester Q-jet carby modified with a manual choke.
Additionally available on this engine was the so called High Output package. This was full on
racetrack gear with an engine oil cooler, an even larger camshaft, a 780cfm vacuum secondary Holley
carburetor and other minor modifications. The drive train consisted of the GM-H M21 four speed box,
fine spline heavy duty rear axles, HQ 10 inch rear drum brakes and 11 inch ventilated front discs,
both with the HQ wheel stud pattern. Other external appearance changes were the deletion of the
black stripe on the front guards and also the sill panels and rear beaver panel were no longer painted
black. In addition, the rubber bumper bar strips, boot mat and centre console were not fitted.
As for the rest of the range, the four cylinder models had seven inch round headlights and a different
grille from that of the six cylinder and V8 cars. All the sixes and eights had rectangular headlights
except the L34, which had the same seven inch round items as the four cylinder cars.
The engine lineup consisted of the 1900cc four cylinder cam in head unit, imported from Opel in
Germany, through to the Holden six cylinder 2250 (export only), 2850 and 3300 Red engines, carried
over from the LJ and HQ (called 173 and 202 in the HQ). The V8s were the 4.2 and 5.0 litre powerplants
straight from the larger cars (called the 253 and 308 in the HQ), while the L34 5.0 litre was
exclusive to the LH.
Manual and auto transmissions were all off the shelf GM-H components from LJ and HQ models. The SL/R
5000 was only available with the M21 four speed floor shift manual. The gearbox initially used behind
the Opel 1900 engine was the Australian M20 four speed with an extended shift linkage due to its
different mounting location. This was replaced in early 1975 with the MC6 Filipino built Torquemaster
four speed with its internal shift linkage (Australian built manual transmission had linkages that
were externally mounted). Differential were all Holden banjo style units, mounted as in the LJ and HQ
series with four trailing arm links and coil springs.
The S model had a front bench seat and nine inch drum brakes all round and fairly basic trim and
instrumentation. The SL had front bucket seats, carpeting, walnut grain dash, clock, power front disc
brakes and rubber bumper bar strips. The SL/R gained full instrumentation, radial ply tyres, rally
striping and a four speed floor shift manual (lesser models had a three speed column manual, with the
four speed manual and the Trimatic auto both optional).
There were two limited build fixed option packages offered in the LH. Early 1975 saw the Torana G-Pak.
This was similar to the HQ SS and came as a Torana S with a 3300 engine, M20 four speed transmission,
power front discs, front bucket seats, SL/R instrumentation and wheel trims and exclusive G-Pak
striping and badging. It was available in three colours only (red, yellow and green).
Late 1975 saw the Plus 4. this package was introduced to provide sales interest in the four cylinder
range and came with front bucket seats, full carpeting, clock and power front disc brakes. It was
identified by large 'Plus 4' decals on the rear guards and rear panel and 'Torana' decals on the front
apron and rear panel. It was offered only in red, yellow or green with colour coded SL/R type wheel
trims. The front and rear bumpers were painted black to match the wide side striping.
As with the LC and LJ, the LH was made in left hand drive form for export, in S and SL versions only.
- Lion logo (badge) features first major redesign since 1948.
- Torana S model actually had no S badge.
- Seating featured new foam filled design in lieu of Z springs.
- Underdash, foot operated parking brake on all models.
- New heater / demister design with fan boosted fresh ventilation.
- Factory fitted fully integrated Frigidaire air conditioning (HQ style) optional on all models.
- Six and V8 cars had T-O-R-A-N-A letters spread separately across front apron panel and boot lid.
- Four cylinder cars had an LJ / TA style Torana badge on rear panel between tail lights and also on left hand lower grille (except Plus 4).
- Fuel tank and lines underslung separately and mounted externally for safety.
- Six cylinder manuals used HQ style mechanical clutch linkage.
- Four cylinder and V8s used cable type clutch.
- Left hand drive cars had a hydraulic clutch.
- S and SL used two spoke HJ style steering wheel and SL/R used GTS three spoke item.
- Steering column was HQ / LJ design with combination ignition and steering lock.
- Glass area increased 35 per cent over LJ.
- 13 x 4.5 wheels on all models except SL/R.
- 13 x 5.5 wheels on SL/R (not L34) and optional on others.
- 14 x 6 inch rally wheels on L34 (these wheels are HQ / HJ GTS units offset one inch further
- HJ style international symbols and graphic on instruments and controls.
- L34 gearbox had normal M21 ratios of HQ / HJ 308 four speed, later cars used a closer ratio
version with 2.32 1st gear (this box can be identified by the cluster gear part number
- Six and V8 engines painted regular HK engine red.
- 1900 engines painted black.
- FUEL TANK ... 12 GALLONS ... 55 LITRES
- WHEELBASE ... 101.8 INCHES ... 2586 mm
- TRACK (FRONT) ... 55 INCHES ... 1400 mm
- TRACK (FRONT L34) ... 57.2 INCHES ... 1453 mm
- TRACK (REAR) ... 54 INCHES ... 1372 mm
- TRACK (REAR L34) ... 56.1 INCHES ... 1425 mm
- HEIGHT ... 54 INCHES ... 1372 mm
- WIDTH ... 67.1 INCHES ... 1704 mm
- LENGTH ... 176.9 INCHES ... 4493 mm
- DOMESTIC ... 60 539
- EXPORT (WHOLE) ... 258
- EXPORT (CKD) ... 9 387
- TOTAL ... 70 184
COMP. RATIO OUTPUT ENG.NO. PREFIX
- 1900 LC (EXPORT) 8.6 100 BHP Y
- 1900 HC 9.0 102 BHP Y
- 2250 LC (EXPORT) 7.8 90 BHP HC
- 2250 HC (EXPORT) 9.2 95 BHP HB
- 2850 LC 8.3 112 BHP HE
- 2850 HC 9.4 118 BHP HD
- 3300 LC (EXPORT) 7.8 129 BHP HM
- 3300 HC 9.4 135 BHP HL
- 4.2 V8 9.0 185 BHP HR
- 5.0 V8 9.0 240 BHP HT
- 5.0 V8 9.7 250 BHP HT
- 5.0 L34 V8 9.8 240+ BHP HZ
SPEED SHIFT POS OTHER
- MC6 4 MAN FLOOR EXPORT
- M15 3 MAN COL RHD
- MC2 3 MAN COL LHD
- M20 4 MAN FLOOR AUST
- M21 4 MAN FLOOR 5.0
- M21 4 MAN FLOOR 5.0 L34
- M40 3 AUTO FLOOR/ COL TRIMATIC
MODELS AND RELEASE DATES
- BANJO - 2.78, 3.08, 3.36, 3.55, 3.90
- LIMITED SLIP OPT
MODEL / CODE OPTION / RELEASED / AVAILABLE UNTIL / PRICE AT RELEASE
- TORANA S 1900 8UG69 - 4 MAR 1974 LX - FEB 1976 -
- TORANA PLUS 4 8UG69 A8L 29 AUG 1975 LIMITED RUN $4525
- TORANA SL 1900 8UH69 - 4 MAR 1974 LX - FEB 1976 -
- TORANA S (6/V 8VB69 - 4 MAR 1974 LX - FEB 1976 $3205 (2850)
- TORANA SL (6/V 8VC69 - 4 MAR 1974 LX - FEB 1976 -
- TORANA G PAK (I) 8VC69 XV1 12 FEB 1975 LIMITED RUN $4983
- TORANA G PAK (II) 8VC69 XV1 5 NOV 1975 LIMITED RUN $4983
- TORANA SLR 8VD69 - 4 MAR 1974 LX - FEB 1976 -
- TORANA SLR 5000 8VD69 XU2 4 MAR 1974 LX - FEB 1976 $4415
- TORANA SLR 5000 L34 8VD69 L34 JUL 1974 LIMITED RUN - 260 $6609
GMH / DULON / BERGER / TYPE
- ABSINTH YELLOW 1886 15949 1D008 SOLID
- CASINO BLUE 17297 1B022 SOLID
- CHARMOIS 1887 15950 1G009 SOLID
- COTILLION WHITE 15951 1J007 SOLID
- DURHAM BEIGE 15952 1G016 SOLID
- JAMAICA LIME 17342 1C038 SOLID
- MANDARIN RED 1890 15953 1F072 SOLID
- NUTRIA 15956 1G029 SOLID
- ANTELOPE 1894 15940 2G006 METALLIC
- CLARET 15941 2F004 METALLIC
- CONTESSA GOLDE 1896 2D002 METALLIC
- CYCLAMEN 15942 2A003 METALLIC
- DEAUVILLE BLUE 15944 2B016 METALLIC
- JADE GREEN 15945 2C010 METALLIC
- PERSIAN SAND 1925 2G024 METALLIC
- SAFRON 15823 METALLIC
- SATIN MIST 30183 2J007 METALLIC
- SEPIA 15948 2G026 METALLIC
- DOVE GREY 17055 / 17084 / 17210
- SLATE BLACK
- JADE 17054 / 17263
- CHARMOIS 1821-19X 17053 / 17214
- GAZELLE 17052 / 17215
- CHESTNUT 1881-66X
Date of Production:
Total Number Built:
S (4 & 6 cylinder)
SL (4 & 6 cylinder)
SL/R (6 cylinder & V8)
1.9 litre (1900), 4 cylinder
2.8 litre (2850), 6 cylinder (173ci)
3.3 litre (3300), 6 cylinder (202ci)
4.2 litre, V8 (253ci)
5.0 litre, V8 (308ci)
5.0 litre, L34 V8 (308ci)
3-speed manual (6 cylinder)
4-speed manual (4 cylinder & V8)
3-speed automatic (4 & 6 cylinder, V8)
4 cylinder (1900) - 3.9 manual, 3.55 auto
6 cylinder (2850) - 3.36 manual, 2.78 auto
6 cylinder (3300) - 3.08 manual, 2.78 auto
V8 (4.2) - 2.78 manual, 2.78 auto
V8 (5.0) - 2.78 manual, 2.78 auto
S models - drums
SL & SL/R models - discs (254mm)
L34 model - discs (276mm)
S, SL & SL/R models - drums (228mm)
L34 model - drums (254mm)
S & SL models:
Speedo, odometer, fuel gauge, foot-operated park-brake, brake warning light, hi-beam
indicator, turn signal indicator, generator warning light, oil pressure warning light,
temperature warning light
Speedo, odometer, fuel gauge, foot-operated park-brake, brake warning light, hi-beam
indicator, turn signal indicator, battery charge gauge, oil pressure gauge, temperature
Front leg room: 1021mm (40.2 inches)
Rear leg room: 879mm (34.6 inches)
Front headroom: 937mm (36.9 inches)
Rear headroom: 922mm (36.3 inches)
Front shoulder room: 1379mm (54.3 inches)
Rear shoulder room: 1369mm (53.9 inches)
Glass area: 23,835 sq. cm (3695.5 sq. in.)
Total length: 4493mm (176.9 inches)
Total width: 1704mm (67.1 inches)
Total height: 1328mm (52.3 inches)
Wheelbase: 2586mm (101.8 inches)
Front track: 1400mm (55.1 inches)
Rear track: 1372mm (54 inches)
Kerb weight: 1143 - 1183kg (2520 - 2609lb)
Turning circle: 10.97m (36 ft.)
Fuel tank capacity: 55 litres (12 gallons)
Cargo capacity: .31 cu. mt (10.8 cu. ft.)
Prices at time of introduction:
S 1900 4-door sedan - $3,105
SL 1900 4-door sedan - $3,375
S 2850 4-door sedan - $3,205
SL 2850 4-door sedan - $3,545
SL/R 3300 4-door sedan - $3,915
SL/R 4.2L 4-door sedan - $4,046
SL/R 5.0L 4-door sedan - $4,415
Trimatic option - $275 (S & SL), $165 (SL/R)
4.2L V8 (over 3300) - $131
5.0L V8 (with SL/R 5000 option kit) - approx $500 (depending on tyres & transmission)